How do I enter?
Step 1: Write 500 words or more on the topic of why you want to attend SLIG. Include which course you would like to take, and whether you have attended before. Please include the link www.slig.ugagenealogy.org when referring to SLIG’s website.
Step 2: Post a link to your blog post on the UGA/SLIG Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/ugagenealogy) before midnight (Mountain Time) on Saturday, October 15, 2011. If you are not on Facebook please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will post the link on Facebook for you.
Step 3: The winner will be randomly chosen using www.randomizer.org, and announced via our Facebook page on Sunday, October 16, 2011.
What do I win?
The winning blogger will be awarded a tuition waiver for SLIG 2012. The waiver is only valid for SLIG 2012 (January 23-27, 2012). The waiver may be applied to registration for any SLIG track for 2012 which has not already filled. The waiver is for tuition only and does not include travel costs, hotel stay, or meals.
What if I’m already registered for SLIG?
If the winner is already registered for SLIG they will be refunded the amount already paid in tuition (note that this does not include any night classes or meals which may have been purchased).
What if I don’t have a blog?
Now is a great time to start one! You could write as a guest blogger on a friend’s blog.
About the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy
The Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy has been providing top-notch genealogical education for fifteen years. The courses are primarily focused at the advanced level, with Course 1: American Research and Records Parts 1 and 2 with Paula Stuart-Warren, providing a good intermediate foundation. SLIG is structured in "tracks". Each track equates to either a locality or a methodological subject. Each track provides at least twenty hours of in-depth instruction. Students choose one track for the week and leave with a deeper understanding of their chosen topic than a traditional conference can impart. SLIG is dedicated to providing a forum for the best genealogical educators in the field to present their knowledge to avid family historians.
About the Utah Genealogical Association
The Utah Genealogical Association (UGA) is an enthusiastic community of researchers who desire to improve their research skills and more effectively utilize genealogical resources within Utah. UGA provides genealogical information, sources and education through personal instruction and published media on state and national family history topics, while promoting high standards and ethical practices.
UGA was formally organized September 25, 1971, and chartered December 1, 1971, by the State of Utah as a nonprofit educational organization. UGA is not affiliated with any religious or political organization.To learn more visit http://www.infouga.org. Also follow us on Facebook.com /ugagenealogy and Twitter: @ugagenealogy
The South Davis Chapter’s next meeting will be on May 25th at 7:00 in the same location, which is 790 South 100 East, Bountiful. The public is invited to join us in hearing our speaker: well-known Genealogist and presenter Devin Ashby. He will be speaking on The Google Genealogist.
All those with an interest in genealogy are invited to participate in the new South Davis Chapter as well as become a member of UGA. Benefits of being a member of UGA will enable you to receive access to:
- Virtual Chapter Meetings: These are online instructional meetings held the third Thursday of each month.
- Educational Projects supported and organized by Barry Ewell, with three levels of expertise: Gold, Silver and Bronze
- First Families of Utah: Recognizing and documenting prominent early Utah families
- Utah Indexing Projects including,: Births, Marriages, Death, and Burial Records
- Access to Rare Utah Marriage records from 1851-1884
- UGA Conference Planner: Guides UGA members through directing a conference, seminar, or fair
- Speakers Bureau: A list of presenters reviewed and approved through UGA for classes and meetings with contact information
- Crossroads Magazine: UGA's Quarterly magazine with articles on Genealogy and related subjects
- Discounts for Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy
- Discounts for Chapter Activities and Events
- Discounts for the Semi-Annual UGA Family History Conferences
- Pre-registration for most events
We hope you will come and participate in this new UGA chapter and enjoy all the benefits of The Utah Genealogical Association.