The Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy is pleased to announce we are now accepting essays for the Jimmy B. Parker Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy scholarship. Full tuition to SLIG 2014 will be awarded to the student whose essay and application exemplify the culture of giving back to community, lived by Jimmy B. Parker. The scholarship will be awarded by a committee comprised of SLIG committee members and the family of the late Jimmy B. Parker.
Applicants are asked to submit the following via email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A one-page essay detailing how attending SLIG will help you prepare to give back to the genealogical community.
- A short biography, including previous volunteer and research experience.
- The name of the course you would like to attend.
- A letter of recommendation from someone who has benefited from your volunteer service.
The winning essay will be posted on the UGA blog at http://ugagenealogy.blogspot.com/.
The Salt Lake Institute runs from January 13-17, 2014 and the winning student will have their choice of the following tracks:
- American Research and Records: Focus on Families (with Paula Stuart-Warren, CG, FUGA, FMGS)
- Researching New York: Resources and Strategies (with Karen Mauer Green, CG, FGBS)
- Research in the South (with Mark Lowe, CG, FUGA)
- Advanced Research Tools: Land Records (with Richard G. Sayre, CG, CGL and Pamela Boyer Sayre, CG, CGL)
- Credentialing: Accreditation, Certification, or Both? (with Apryl Cox, AG and Elissa Scalise Powell, CG, CGL)
- Producing a Quality Family Narrative (with John Philip Colletta, Ph.D., FUGA)
- Researching in Eastern Europe (with Kory Meyerink, MLS, AG, FUGA)
- Advanced Evidence Analysis Practicum (with Angela McGhie and Kimberly Powell)
- Advanced Genealogical Methods (with Thomas W. Jones, Ph.D., CG, CGL, FASG, FUGA, FNGS)
- Problem Solving (with Judith Hansen, MLS, AG)
- Utilizing Social History (with Gena Philibert-Ortega, MA, MAR)
Applications and essays are due by October 15th and the winner will be announced October 30th.