April 25, 2016 – Austin, TX. The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) announces that online registration is now open for the 2016 FGS National Conference, “Time Travel: Centuries of Memories” to be held , in Springfield, IL, and locally hosted by the Illinois State Genealogical Society. Register by July 1, 2016, for the early-bird discount at http://www.FGSConference.org.
Celebrating 40 years since the founding of FGS, each day of the conference is full of sessions aimed at strengthening attendees’ research skills no matter what level or area of interest they may have.
“Returning to our Illinois roots for the FGS 2016 Conference to celebrate our 40th Anniversary in the state where FGS began is a dream come true,” says D. Joshua Taylor, FGS President. “With a solid educational program and a tremendous line-up of social events, this conference is not to be missed!”
- Conference Sessions: With over 160 sessions, 72 expert speakers from around the world, 10 luncheons with speakers, 7 workshops, and 2 interactive seminars, learning opportunities abound in the FGS 2016 Program. With strong daily tracks covering the U.S. Midwest (regional track), the United Kingdom (British Isles and Commonwealth track), and continental European research (ethnic track), attendees of all skill levels will learn a multitude of ways to uncover more about their family history.
- Exhibit Hall: The large exhibit hall will feature the latest software, books, maps, databases and gadgets on the market for genealogists and family historians, as well as information about genealogical organizations. Located in the special Society Showcase area, representatives of FGS Member Societies will be on hand to demonstrate how their society can help attendees with their family history.
- Special Events: With built-in networking opportunities, registrants can meet like-minded genealogists and family historians at FGS special events including “Farms & Families: Across the Decades” evening sponsored by FamilySearch and co-hosted by the Illinois State Genealogical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society; the “Meet & Greet” sponsored by Ancestry.com evening; and the FGS 40th Anniversary Gala evening.
- Focus on Societies: On Wednesday, August 31, 2016, sessions are jam‐packed with ideas and tools to help societies promote themselves, develop projects, increase membership, and leverage technology. The day kicks off with a plenary session that explores the opportunities and challenges facing societies today and showcases ways to facilitate the changes needed for societies to succeed and thrive.
- Librarians’ Day: On Tuesday, August 30, 2016, ProQuest will sponsor a pre‐conference full‐day of sessions designed for librarians, archivists, and other information professionals serving family history researchers.
Platinum sponsors include leading family history companies Ancestry.com and FamilySearch. Other participating and supporting organizations include Findmypast, Internet Genealogy,Your Genealogy, Lexmark, Eneclann, Illinois State Genealogical Society, Illinois State Archives, Illinois State Historical Society, and more. Please visit the conference website for a complete listing of all sponsors and partners.
Also visit the conference website at http://www.FGSConference.org for additional details including links to conference hotels, research opportunities, and more. Keep up with conference news and announcements by reading the FGS Voice blog at http://voice.fgs.org/and by subscribing to the FGS Voice Newsletter at http://fgs.org/cpage.php?pt=71
About the Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS)
The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) was founded in 1976 and represents the members of hundreds of genealogical societies. FGS links the genealogical community by helping genealogical societies and family history enthusiasts strengthen and grow through online resources, FGS FORUM magazine, and through its annual national conference which provides four days of excellent learning opportunities for both societies and family history enthusiasts. To learn more about FGS, visit fgs.org. To learn more about the next annual conference to be held in Springfield, IL, visit fgsconference.org. Also, find FGS on Facebookhttps://www.facebook.com/
FGSgenealogy, on Twitter @FGSgenealogy and on the FGS Voice blog at http://voice.fgs.org.